Monday, January 28, 2013

2 recipe tries, friends, smores, great weekend.


So how was your weekend? ready for the week? I am busy busy. I was not overly productive this past weekend but I did try a few recipes. and Most of the laundry got done. Woohoo. Until next week of course. Laundry is a vicious cycle.

So first up... This was the conversation about recipe number one...


Love my kid and his willing to try....

D: what are you making? 
Me:butternut squash and chicken stew... Oh it has quinoa.
D: oh hmm. Sounds good what does quinoa taste like? 
Me: i dont know first time I've had it. 
D: cool sounds good. 

So I tried this recipe listed on Cookin' Canuck. The photo is beautiful. I did not take a photo because mine was not as beautiful. Not sure what happened, but just know my Saturday night guests were willing to try it out.

The Hearty Chicken Stew with Butternut Squash and Quinoa... 

First: How do you pronounce Quinoa? My friend pronounces it differently then I. So I am trying to remember the correct pronounciation.

Thoughts on cooking mine.. It needed more liquid. Ended up more like a goolash then a stew. Also, I wouldn't put the Kalamato olives in. I would set them aside for those who want to top it. It made a few step back and not try it. Olives are a very specialized taste. And I forgot the flat leaf parsley. hmmm.. It will probably end up frozen for the compost or the earthworms because I am not sure what to do with it. We shall see. So try it if you are cold. It was yummy and warm and hearty.

My uber knowledgeable friend Heidi told me Quinoa is the only grain that is the perfect protein. Cool. On to try new and interesting things.

The other recipe I tried off of Pinterest this past weekend was an overnight crockpot oatmeal apples dish. I have been craving oatmeal. After tasting it... maybe I was craving oatmeal cookies really and not a breakfast dish. my hubby said it was yum. My son ate it and said the brown sugar was yum and needed more apples. haha. My husband ate the leftovers the next day. I ate about half a cup and thought hmmmm... I really don't like oatmeal for breakfast. in a mushy weird state that makes me want to gag. So that must just mean these Gluten Free Bob's red mill oatmeal is gonna make some awesome cookies!!! hahah.

Other then that... hubby built a chicken tractor. I got called a chicken wrangler. Dehydrated some strawberries.  My son raced in the pinewood derby. Friends came over and we had s'mores. I will post photos the rest of the week.

Have a wonderful wonderful week!
Enjoy!
Chris




To get quick fun updates of things going on, you can join my facebook page.

My files in the store can be located here. Thank you for stopping by!

1 comment:

2KutiesGrandma said...

Quinoa - I have always pronounced it along the lines of keen-wa. It sounds yummy. The oatmeal sounds good too - I may have to make some tomorrow.

**